CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Update!

I was sitting at work and realized that I haven't really updated on the baby-makin' process. We are currently waiting for Aunt Flo to make her appearance. I have about 5 left on my BCP so that means I should start sometime next week. When I do start, I have to call Angela (Dr. D's nurse) and have her set up my HSG.

Here is some info I found online about the test...

A hysterosalpingogram (HSG) is an X-ray procedure that allows us to see an outline of the inside of your fallopian tubes and uterine cavity.

The HSG is performed on women who are undergoing infertility evaluation and treatment, or after a surgery has been performed on your uterus or tubes. If the X-ray findings demonstrate a tubal blockage, infection, or an abnormal uterine cavity, the physician will discuss this with you and recommend appropriate treatment.

Complications from the HSG are very rare but might include pelvic infection, allergic reaction to the dye or bleeding.

How is an HSG done?

The HSG X-ray procedure is performed in the Radiology Department. You will lay down on an X-ray table and your vagina and the area surrounding your vagina will be washed thoroughly. A speculum (the metal instrument used during a pap smear) is placed inside your vagina so that your cervix can be easily seen and washed. Instruments will be placed on and in your cervix, so that X-ray dye can be injected into your uterus and tubes. While the X-ray dye is injected, the physician will be able to watch the dye flow through your uterus and fallopian tubes on a T.V. screen. X-ray pictures of this procedure are taken and can be shown to you later. Once these pictures have been obtained, all of the instruments are removed. Shortly after the procedure, you may go back to work or home.

What does an HSG tell us?

The X-ray pictures of the uterus will show us the size and shape of your uterine cavity. The uterine cavity is shaped like a triangle and is where the fertilized egg implants itself. If your uterus has fibroid tumors, polyps, scar tissue, or an abnormal shape to the cavity, it will be seen on the X-ray pictures. The HSG shows the fallopian tubes as they fill up with dye, and we are able to watch the dye spill out of the tubes. This tells us that your tubes are open. Open fallopian tubes are necessary for transportation of the egg and sperm. This is where fertilization takes place. It is necessary to have at least one open fallopian tube if your infertility treatment is GIFT or TET.


Everytime I think about it, I feel like I'm going to barf. I'm getting anxious about. I know I need to just stop and put it in God's hands. Everyone please pray for my anxiety and stress. Also, please pray for good results. We have so much riding on this test!

4 comments:

April said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Good luck! I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed and prayers said that you the hsg is painless and turns out terrific!

April from SC

Britt said...

Hi Brandi,
I don't know if you already had the hsg or not but I will be praying for you. It's not as bad as it sounds :)

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!